Wednesday, July 30, 2014

tending my yarn garden...






We spent Tuesday at the river. Just a short five minute drive away from home is this beautiful place perfect for HOT afternoons. The kids explored and swam while I enjoyed the tranquility of a trickling waterfall and the shade. The perfect opportunity to read a bit and to finish a copycat washcloth for an upcoming baby shower. There are, I think, 6 or 8 (or more) women in our church who are with child (including my daughter-in-law!!), so I'm going to be busy with baby gifts at least through February. I need to make up a batch of oatmeal soap to gift with the washcloths! Maybe that's what I should do when I wake in the middle of the night. Hmmmm. Maybe not since the stick blender might wake the rest of the house from their peaceful slumber. :) I'll be nice. By the way, thanks for the sweet comments and prayers for my insomnia... I've slept through the night for two nights in a row. Of course, I'm typing this on Tuesday, so who knows how tonight will go. Thankfully, I've got a couple of good books going!

I'm working on a couple secret knits that I just can't share here, yet. One for my swap partner (!!) and a couple others that will be Christmas gifts (!!). It is July, you know, and that means there's only five months (it's the 29th, so less than five months) to go 'til the big day. It sounds like a lot of time, but it never turns out that way. At least for me; I'm usually rushing to finish in December, but then, I guess that's just part of the fun. :)

Current reading includes Pacific Northwest Foraging. Have you ever foraged for food? Of course you have. Blackberries are a fruit not typically grown in cultivated settings (if you do or know of someone who does, please share!). According to this book, picking them where you find them is foraging, and that means that most of us have officially foraged for food. My Daniel told me he thinks it's an interesting book, but he hopes I won't be going off finding dinner in the woods. I told him I think it would be a cool idea to see what we can find growing right here on our small acreage and then do a forage-tasting. Sort of like a wine tasting only different. :)  I know for fact that we have hazelnuts, blackberries, huckleberries, Oregon grapes, skunk cabbage, and a variety of other edibles according to the pictures. Will post an update on this adventure... I honestly can't imagine putting a piece of skunk cabbage in my mouth.

With the current turmoil between Israel and Hamas, I decided to pick up yet another WWII book: The Hiding Place. Have you read it? It deeply saddens me to hear any people in this country or any other, for that matter, calling for the complete destruction of another. May God have mercy. Sorry for getting political, but this stuff is serious and scary. Praying and thankful that God is sovereign over the affairs of men.

So, my friends, what have you been reading? What's on your needles?
*edit* Don't know if Ginny will be hosting today due to the loss of her friend. Add Eric and family to your prayer list...such a sad and tragic story.

PS: My friend, Sarah, has a giveaway going this week -- check it out here. :)

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

26 comments:

  1. The river days sound beautiful and so is your cloth! I was pretty interested in the idea of foraging several years ago and there is a seattle blogger who writes about it. I can't remember the website but I bet if you googled a little it would come up. He used to have a srand at the U District farmers market every week.
    I agree about anyone calling for destruction. One thing I keep seeing from Christian friends on facebook is "I stand with Israel" which always makes me scratch my head because it makes me wonder if that means they stand against any who are Palestinian believers. That concept makes me very cautious about taking sides in many international affairs but many of my friends and family disagree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say that I'm one who would "stand with Israel" in the sense that Hamas' declared purpose is to destroy them. Self-defense is a completely different thing. The entire situation is unbelievable, boggles my mind, and compels me to pray. The rise of anti-Semitism should be a concern to us all, especially Believers, as Christianity is under attack throughout the Middle East and around the world including right here in the US. "if the world hates you, you know that it hated me before it hated you..." John 15:18. This is a fallen world and there just isn't going to be peace apart from Christ. :)

      Delete
  2. The river looks so peaceful! What a wonderful sight so close to home. We did not take our normal trip to the northeast this year, so I am hungry for water. The yarn color reminds me of the Atlantic waters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you dream of the Atlantic...I dream of the Pacific! :)

      Delete
  3. this is 5 minutes from you???!!! how lucky can you get? beautiful!!! (yes, those babies seem to come in flocks, don't they? I've got a pile of baby stuff in waiting!....with my baby cloths I just put a little rubber duckie)
    adding the hiding place to my to-read list. thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love secret knitting! I have foraged berries, that's it. I could pull some dandelion leaves but chose not to and eat lettuce instead. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not picked a single dandelion leave to eat it ever. To put into the compost or feed to my chickens, yes. But to put in my mouth? Nope. I'm going to try them, though...

      Delete
  5. Love the washcloth! *wink wink* Have fun with your secret knits... I bet they will be well loved when received!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Erin. :) Secret knits really are fun!

      Delete
  6. Rivers have a special place in my heart, since I live near one :-) So glad that you have been sleeping dear friend. Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and I both love the peace and calm of the water, don't we? Guess God knew what He was doing when planting us each beside rivers!! xo

      Delete
  7. You have lots of babies to be knitting for! Here's praying that you continue to get a good nights sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so awesome that you can make knitted items and give them to some our friends and daughter-in-law. Can't wait to see the secret projects! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gift knitting is the best since I can give something worth so much more than I could ever afford to pay if I bought it at the store! And the ladies of our church love getting homemade things. :)

      Delete
  9. I forage for food!!!! In the fridge and pantry!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the color of your washcloth. Such a soothing place to knit. I so want to be there. Thanks for the link to your friend's blog. I enjoyed browsing through it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Cathie! Thanks for the kind words. :) Knitting by the river is so peaceful...

      Delete
  11. I love secret knitting too!! :) and Christmas for us who make things is near by! I am already wishing for it... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Advent is such a blessed time of year, isn't it? I always look forward to it. :)

      Delete
  12. The Hiding Place is my absolute favorite all time book. I finished reading her next book "tramp for the Lord" recently and it's also inspiring. I recount her stories often and try to remember her suffering as a way of putting my life into perspective. I won't ruin it for you, but you'll need a tissue box on occasion. If I could chose to meet one person in heaven (nonfamily) it would be Corrie. We even named a chicken after her.

    http://www.theschultzcompound.blogspot.com/2012/07/corries-story.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing, Izzy. :) I've read this one before several times and am always inspired by Corrie's strong faith in the face of intense trial as well as her testimony to her persecutors. I'm off to read about your chicken. :)

      Delete
  13. I have read The Hiding Place which I found amazing.
    Christmas will be here soon, I've had secret knitting since January!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been picking up sale items throughout the year and have a bag almost filled to the top. Knitted gifts are coming along...

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting; your thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...